Indiana Homeowner Has Property Burglarized Twice In One Day

A homeowner in Indiana is thankful for his Second Amendment rights after having his home burglarized not once, but twice on Tuesday.

Officers from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) were dispatched around the early hours to a home in the 400 block of North Forest Avenue regarding a burglary.

Alfred Burdine was leaving for work when he saw an alleged burglar trying to steal a generator from one of the properties he owned.

“When I came around, I could see more of him,” Burdine said. “So, I parked right there, and I got out the car, and he was happy with the generator, walking off that way, and then, I walked up behind him, and then, I circled around him after I got his attention.”

Burdine said that he had his gun drawn, but the thief put his hands into his pockets as if he were drawing a weapon. Fearing for his life, Burdine shot him.

“The possibility of him going violent at that time was pretty high. It’s 4:30 in the morning, nobody around. You’re bold enough to break into my garage, my house, you’re bold enough to do anything,” said Burdine.

He said that he shot the intruder in the leg and covered him until police arrived.

Burdine’s ordeal did not stop there. He said that when he returned home from being questioned at the police station, his home was being burglarized yet again.

“I don’t know what is going on. I think we just need more patrols because there are a lot of people with drug problems, and there is no treatment for them,” said Burdine.

According to Burdine, the Central State Hospital, which served as a mental health institution was closed, leaving many in need with nowhere to go.

Due to the break-ins, Burdine had to have repairs done on his home and garage doors.

The first suspect, 30-year-old Alfie Steadmon, was charged with two felonies. The second suspect was arrested as well.

According to IMPD, there has been a significant decrease in non-fatal shootings in Indianapolis so far this year. There have been 80 non-fatal shooting incidents in the past two months, a 20% decrease since last year around the same time.