Two Navy SEALs Declared Dead After Search Called Off

The U.S. military has called off their 10-day search and rescue mission for two Navy SEALs who fell into the Arabian Sea after attempting to board a ship containing Iranian weapons in a night mission off the coast of Somalia.

On Monday, the Naval Special Warfare Command identified the SEALs as Navy Special Warfare Operator 1st Class Christopher J. Chambers, 37, and Navy Special Warfare Operator 2nd Class Nathan Gage Ingram, 27.

According to two U.S. defense officials, one SEAL tried to board the vessel and was knocked into the sea. As protocol, the second SEAL dived in after him.

“We mourn the loss of our two Naval Special Warfare warriors, and we will forever honor their sacrifice and example,” said General Erik Kurilla, the head of U.S. Central Command. “Our prayers are with the SEALs’ families, friends, the U.S. Navy, and the entire Special Operations community during this time.”

U.S. Central Command stopped their efforts on Sunday after searching over 21,000 square miles. Spain and Japan aided in search and rescue efforts, along with the U.S. Coast Guard Atlantic Area Command, the Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center, and the University of California-San Diego’s Scripps Institute of Oceanography.

The military has now switched the mission over to a recovery effort to bring the fallen heroes back home to their families.

“They were exceptional warriors, cherished teammates, and dear friends to many within the Naval Special Warfare community,” said Captain Blake L. Chaney, the commander of Naval Special Warfare Group 1.

The raid occurred on Jan. 11 in the Gulf of Aden, targeting a ship carrying Iranian weapons to the Houthi in Yemen, according to officials. It resulted in the seizing of several weapons, including cruise and ballistic missile components like propulsion and guidance devices and warheads, along with air defense parts, as reported by the Associated Press.

The Houthi has been terrorizing merchant ships in the Red Sea since November. The terrorist group claimed that the attacks were in support of the Palestinians, who are being bombed by Israel in retaliation for Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack.