Paul Pelosi Testifies About Attack At Home In 2022

Paul Pelosi, the husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D), testified in the federal trial of the man accused of attacking him in his home in 2022. The federal trial of David DePape, 43, has revealed the timeline of events from Pelosi’s point of view, in his own words. Though arrested at the crime scene, DePape has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Pelosi detailed exactly what occurred in October 2022 upon waking up and realizing that he was not alone in his home in San Francisco. According to Pelosi, he woke up that night when he heard a door open. Upon waking up, a man was only 2-4 feet away from him.

Pelosi explained that “the door opened and a very large man came in with a hammer in one hand and some ties in the other hand. He said ‘Where’s Nancy’ and that woke me up.”

According to NBC News, at first, Pelosi was very shocked to realize that someone had broken into his house. After realizing that he was in “serious danger”, he explained that he tried to stay calm.

Pelosi then testified that DePape told him he was going to tie him up. Then, they would both wait for former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to return home. At the time, she was in Washington DC.

However, Pelosi explained in the trial that he was able to momentarily get away from DePape and call the authorities while in the bathroom. He did so by using his cell phone. DePape eventually took his phone away, though the call had already been made.

Pelosi then testified that he believed his best chance to survive this experience was to go downstairs and await the eventual police arrival. He said that he told DePape, “Since all your stuff is downstairs why don’t we go downstairs, you can tie me up and you can get some sleep.”

Once the police arrived, Pelosi stated that he reached for the hammer that DePape held in his hand. However, he explained that DePape pushed him away and then attacked him with the hammer.

At this point in his testimony, Pelosi said that he only remembers waking up in a pool of his blood. He vaguely remembered being put in an ambulance and then being sent to the hospital. However, he admitted that he could not remember specific details after being struck by the hammer in the head.

San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins stated that DePape allegedly broke into the Pelosi household through a glass door in the rear of the home. He then snuck into the Pelosis’ bedroom where Paul Pelosi was sleeping.

DePape’s charges include being charged with attempted kidnapping of a federal official. If DePape is convicted, he could face up to 50 years in prison, as well as a $500,000 fine.

DePape has pleaded not guilty to these charges.