The Manhattan District Attorney announced Monday that no criminal charges would be filed due to the COVID-related deaths in New York nursing homes under the administration of former Democratic New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Cuomo attorney Elkan Abramowitz issued a statement indicating he had been contacted by the Elder Care Unit of the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office and advised that they had closed their investigation of the governor’s office and nursing home death.
Abramowitz added that he was told that there was “no evidence” that any laws were broken and said that was what his office had said all along.
A summary of an investigation by the state legislature said last November that the disgraced ex-governor had not been “fully transparent” about the number of deaths in nursing homes resulting from COVID-19 infections.
As the COVID pandemic began in 2020, nursing homes around the country took in patients who had been infected with the coronavirus. Critics had since said that led to the rapid spread of the virus among the elderly population most susceptible to serious illness when there was still no vaccine available.
Cuomo became a popular media figure through his defiance in defending his decisions regarding the housing of sick nursing home patients during his many daily televised news briefings in the early months of the pandemic.
As time passed, he was faced with difficult allegations that his office had substantially undercounted the number of persons who died from COVID-19 inside the state’s nursing homes. The New York state attorney general’s office eventually investigated those allegations and whether the governor’s policies had led to unnecessary deaths.
The US Department of Justice decided last July not to open a civil rights investigation into COVID deaths in nursing homes in New York and two other states.
Cuomo resigned last year due to a report issued by Attorney General Letitia James alleging that Cuomo was involved in a series of sexual harassment claims and other misbehavior.